WMSC Weltmeisterschaft 2016 (Singapore)

Mnemotechnik als Mentalsport. Hier dreht sich alles um Meisterschaften, mentale Höchstleistungen, neue sowie alte Rekorde im Bereich des Gedächtnissports.

Moderatoren: Hannes, Boris, Marlo

Antworten
Nodas
Regelmäßiger Besucher
WMSC Weltmeisterschaft 2016 (Singapore)

Beitrag von Nodas »

I know many of the Top German competitors
(including Simon, Johannes, Boris, Annalena and Christian)
are partially boycotting the WMC 2016 (for some good reasons).

So it could not be a full strength or Top WMC this year.

But it may be interesting to see the final results from Singapore:
http://www.worldmemorychampionships.com/wmc-2016/

Alex Mullen (USA) won the title for the second consecutive time

Full Results, in particular for specific events: There were 219 competitors overall in WMC 2016.
I counted the number of Chinese folks and they made more than half of the list.
Huang and Shi-Binbin seem the best competitors out of these Chinese.

Also, present were Marwin (Sweden) , Alex, Lance, (Yadav,India), and of course 5-6 Top Mongolian competitors which I met in Las Vegas Memoriad last month.

Congratulations to all the participants.

P.S. I hope the IAM association will also organize their own WMSC next year in 2017 (and maybe the Top winners from all competitions will face eachother :) )
Nodas, mental calculator from Griechenland
Current Greek National Memory Record holder for the Memorization of Pi/π
My MEMOCAMP page: https://memocamp.com/en/bestenliste/benutzer/8286-nodas
Malte
Superbrain

Re: WMSC Weltmeisterschaft 2016 (Singapore)

Beitrag von Malte »

So wie mein Eindruck jetzt ist, haben Tony und das WMSC einen Sieg gegen Simon und die IAM geschafft.
Zwar sind viele sehr gute Gedächtnissportler der WM ferngeblieben, aber die wichtigen sind leider doch alle da gewesen. Alex als Titelverteidiger, Lance als WR-Halter, Marvin als Vizeweltmeister und durch die Teilnahme von Idriz und Emma war sogar ein schwedisches Team am Start. Das hätte unbedingt verhindert werden müssen. So fehlte keiner den Tony vielleicht vermisst hat, denn Simon ist beim WMSC ja nur ein Störfaktor, der seine eigene Meinung mutig vertritt und sowas ist in autokratischen Strukturen nicht erwünscht und wird beseitigt und die Anderen kommen ja alle aus Simons Umfeld, also auch unerwünscht. Auch war die EM leider nur schlecht besetzt und viele gute Europäer fehlten, was die IAM leider nicht gestärkt hat.
Ich denke, dass es unter diesen Umständen nicht mehr zu einer unumstrittenen WM kommen wird und ich fürchte, dass auch Weltrekorde gefeiert werden, wo eigentlich jeder weiß, dass es schon mal noch besser gab. Zwischen Simons 20,44 und Alex 16,96 liegt ja einiges, was das WMSC als WR feiern kann. Hoffe, dass die IAM WMSC Wettkämpfe anerkennt, sodass wenigstens ein IAM-WR auch ein richtiger WR ist. Ich fürchte, dass es jetzt längere Zeit zwei konkurierende Verbände geben wird und es drei Gruppen von Teilnehmern geben wird: Die WMSC-Leute(meiste Asiaten), die IAM-Leute(meiste Europäer) und die Chamäleons die beide Stellen mitmachen und so die IAM schwächen.
Nodas
Regelmäßiger Besucher
Re: WMSC Weltmeisterschaft 2016 (Singapore)

Beitrag von Nodas »

Malte, I agree with that WMSC is mostly lined up with Asian competitors.

But an American won it now , and a Swedish could do as well. Actually, from the last 4 WMSC (2013,2014,2015,2016) all of them were won by USA and Sweden. In the last 25 years, the only Asian who have won the title, is Wang Feng.

IAM can defenitely be the most transparent and objective competition with a voice to the athletes. But like you said, the IAM seem very Eurocentric at the moment. The problem now is how to convince more Asians to come and compete in IAM. I'm sure Simon and Boris would want athletes from all over the world to be part of IAM. From Asians, thankfully the Mongolians are always willing to go in all competitions in the last 5 years. I hope the Chinese, Indians, Philipinos and others will follow and support IAM.

It's totally fine to have 2 different WMSC competitions. The same happened in chess (from '93 to '07). But in chess there was no ranking problem because all the ranking ELOs were accepted from both Kasparov's federation and FIDE federation, after every classical game.

But in memory I see so many kinds of rankings and WR, which is hard to categorise:
A. WMSC Ranking and WMSC World Records
B. XMT and IAM Ranking and IAM World Records
C. Memoriad Rankings and Memoriad World Records, and so on

Thankfully, this recordholders memory site tries to keep up, at least with all the current WR.

A further problem is that each organization sometimes does not accept other WR from other organizations. I hope there can be some universal effort to unify at least the rankings, so as to come from many sources combined. Because people and athletes in all competitions have put some personal effort into breaking those records and to have some ranking, and it's bad when their efforts are not recognised.

Also, I find it a paradox when people claim a new WR when it's not a new WR when you consider other organizations as well, where that particular WR was already broken.

Anyway, let's hope the best for all competitions in 2017
Nodas, mental calculator from Griechenland
Current Greek National Memory Record holder for the Memorization of Pi/π
My MEMOCAMP page: https://memocamp.com/en/bestenliste/benutzer/8286-nodas
Antworten