WMSC Weltmeisterschaft 2015

Mnemotechnik als Mentalsport. Hier dreht sich alles um Meisterschaften, mentale Höchstleistungen, neue sowie alte Rekorde im Bereich des Gedächtnissports.

Moderatoren: Hannes, Boris, Marlo

Malte
Superbrain

Re: WMSC Weltmeisterschaft 2015

Beitrag von Malte »

Gibt es schon Neues? Ist ja gleich 17:30 in China und da könnte es somit eine Entscheidung geben.
Philodoof
Superbrain

Beitrag von Philodoof »

Ja. Hour Cards - der WR wurde von 3 Personen übertroffen. :) Alex und Ola mit jeweils 1460 Karten. Von den beiden hatte ich gehört, dass sie zuversichtlich sind, aber Shi Binbin, der chinesische Newcomer hat das nochmal ein ganzes Stück übertrumpft mit 1612 Karten.

Speed Numbers 2. Versuch: Tsogbadrakh hat Marwins WR vom 1. Versuch mit 524 nur einen Tag später wieder übertrumpt. Es hagelt also wirklich Weltrekorde weiterhin. :)
Außerdem habe ich gehört, dass Lance mit 456 Spoken einen neuen WR aufgestellt hat. Nach einem beschissenen 1. Tag für ihn hat er sich zunehmend an die Umstände gewöhnt und kann wie man sieht an seine fabelhaften Trainingsergebnisse anknüpfen. :)

Anscheinend ist Alex Mullen neuer Weltmeister. :-) Er übernahm die Führung nachdem er im 1. Speed Cards Versuch 24 Sekunden aufstellte. Derweil hat Marwin "nur" 37 Sekunden auf die Uhr gebracht und er war zuvor in Führung. Ich weiß nicht, wie die 2. Versuche gelaufen sind, aber Florian Dellé hat auf Facebook Alex Mullen vorhin schon als neuen Weltmeister verkundet, von daher hoffen wir mal, dass er sich auf Insiderinformationen beruft und nicht bloß voreilig gepostet hat. Die offizielle Verkündung gibt es erst in etwa 2 Stunden.
Rennradler
Regelmäßiger Besucher

Beitrag von Rennradler »

Alex hat 21,5 sec bei Speed Cards geschafft und wird damit höchstwahrscheinlich gewonnen haben.

Marwin wird wohl Zweiter sein. Ich hoffe, dass Deutschland den Team-Titel holen konnte...
Philodoof
Superbrain

Beitrag von Philodoof »

Simon hat die Wörterdisziplin gewonnen mit 288 Wörtern vor Nelson Dellis und Alex Mullen
Malte
Superbrain

Beitrag von Malte »

Erzählt mal wer ist dieser Alex Mullen genau?

Ich kenne ihn ja nicht, da ich ja nicht in den USA war. Vom Foto her würde ich ihn in meinem Alter schätzen, also Anfang/Mitte 20.
Philodoof
Superbrain

Beitrag von Philodoof »

Florian Dellé hatte nach der XMT letztes Jahr mal ein nettes Interview mit ihm gemacht. http://www.memory-sports.com/blog/inter ... ex-mullen/ Ich denke das bietet sich super an um einen Eindruck von ihm zu gewinnen.

Ich denke mal es ist okay wenn noch noch eine persönliche Einschätzung dazu gebe:
- ich halte ihn für sehr relaxt und nicht verbissen. Auf Wettbewerben ist das ein großer Vorteil, weil er Druck sehr gut stand hält.
- empfinde ihn als bescheiden und eher zurückhaltend
- er hat eine unglaubliche Lernfähigkeit und damit auch Effizienz. Würde ihn so ein wenig damit als Gegenentwurf zu Wang Feng und damit bestes Beispiel dafür bezeichnen, dass Fleiß bei weitem nicht alles ist und ich fühle mich durch ihn darin bestätigt, dass Fleiß weitgehend überschätzt wird. Ich argumentiere ja schon seit Jahren in Diskussionen immer wieder dagegen an.
Nodas
Regelmäßiger Besucher

Beitrag von Nodas »

Hi guys. I understand what you say about Alex Mullen being relatively unknown before the WMC 2015 competition.
I also made the mistake to underestimate him, and before the competition I only gave to him odds to win at merely 20/1 (5%). Even though Alex has already done many US records this year.

Philodoof, thanks alot for posting the link to his interview to memory sports.
Amazing that in his interview that he says: he only started training in 2012 for the first time. And in only 3 years he got to the Top of the World in 2015.

He also said he plans to keep competing indefinitely, so we'll probably see him next year in Memoriad 2016 and also in WMC-'16 and Extreme Memory.

Alex Mullen also writes in the another memory board that I'm member : Artofmemory (Josh Cohen from California administers that forum)
So, Alex's profile in that page is located here: http://mt.artofmemory.com/users/alexm (Alex Mullen's profile)
Check that page, it contains some of his own blog entries and posts about his memory methods.

He is 23 years old so this definitely gives him a bit advantage of having more energy in some marathon events like the 1-hour Decimal where he did a new World Record (3029 decimal digits/1 hour)
Simon for example is more experienced but he is 35+ y.o., (and Hannes, 33) so in sports such details matters, because of different amounts of stamina,energy and youth enthusiasm.

For example, Dr. Gunther Karsten is the oldest WMC winner at the age of 46 (in 2007) and also Dominic O'Brien was 44 y.o. when he won in 2001. But I guess this now is very difficult to happen (for a 40+ y.o. man to win) with so many young competitors who have tremendous energy and stamina. The same happened and in 2 of the Mental Calculation World Cup's I've been competing to. In 2010 an 11-year old girl won and in 2014 a 12-year-old boy won. (both from India). Young people sometimes have tremendous energy and enthusiasm, so the situation has changed in WMC as well. (with a 21/22 y.o. Von Essen in 2013/14 and 23 y.o. Mullen in 2015, as winners)

Finally, I am not sure about the total team points in WMC 2015. I think Germany was leading the race, for most team points, but I don't know the exact results.

Anyway, Good luck for next year. 2016 will have many competitions. Cheers.
Nodas, mental calculator from Griechenland
Current Greek National Memory Record holder for the Memorization of Pi/π
My MEMOCAMP page: https://memocamp.com/en/bestenliste/benutzer/8286-nodas
Flauwy
Superbrain

Beitrag von Flauwy »

Hallo zusammen,

die WM war absolut spannend und atemraubend. Sooo viele neue Weltrekorde!

Hier ist eine hübsche Übersicht aller Medaillen und Sieger: http://www.memory-sports.com/blog/memor ... ship-2015/
Philodoof
Superbrain

Beitrag von Philodoof »

Nodas, that's some interesting points. Would really like to know the influence of age on such memory performances. Do you really think that Hannes and Simon are already over their peak of mental age? I at least doubt it. I don't feel like age is yet affecting my memory performances. I'm 29 now and thus not much younger than Hannes. But maybe I just never noticed a decrease as it must be rather gradual.
Nodas
Regelmäßiger Besucher

Beitrag von Nodas »

Hi Philodoof. I am not sure if they peaked or not. That's a totally personal question, for them to answer. Only themselves are the ones to know their situation exactly. And they probably know, if they peaked or not. I don't want to judge. I hope this is a serious forum and not the BILD to write false information and insubstantial speculation :)

What I'm trying to say is that there is no definite answer to this question (about peaking). Some people mentally peak at 20 (during university/college studies), some at 25, some at 35 or 40. It's not universal. But we are talking about mental agility and energy, and not for total knowledge, wisdom and experience. Because older people surely have more knowledge.

But also there are exeptions to this general rule. For example, another fellow mental calculator Jan Van Koningsveld (Dutch-German, now at age 46) he did this year his best mental performance with 96 Calendar dates per minute. At least that's what I read. That's his best score ever.
Also, in other Mind Sports, in Chess, Vishy Anand was World Champion until 2012 at age of 43. Wilhelm Steinitz was Champion in 1894 at age 58. Emanuel Lasker Champion in 1921 at age 52 (source : https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/World_Chess_Championship) Also, from wiki records "The oldest of chess grandmaster ever was Enrico Paoli, who was awarded the title in 1996 at the age of 88! " Also, in MCWC-2010, I competed against an American guy (Mr.Jerry Newport at age 64) who won all the calculation surprise tasks easily (" Best Vielseitigster Kopfrechner" http://www.recordholders.org/de/events/ ... sults.html), and I was 12th overall at age 26 back then in surprise, but a 64 y.o. was much better than all of us competitors, in 6 such suprise tasks. So yes, there are many exceptions to this rule of 'youth', even in mind sports.

However, biologically, there is an objective difference between the brain of a 20 y.o and a 70 y.o. person, because in the latter case, his cells have divided more times, and more oxidative damage accumulates. Boris who is a neuroscientist at Max-Planck institute surely know more about such facts.
But if I view it philosophically, it is a fact of life that we cannot be forever 20 years old. So, we gotta take the best out the specific age we are every year, and as we know, time always moves forward as a dimension in our physical world. In 2016, we all will add 1+ year to our lives.

In my opinion, as the years pass on, we should add more quality, let it be more "quality training", more quality in friends, more quality in the books we read, and generally manage our (finite) time better. There are many 'time management' books and I like this subject a lot because it teaches how to organise the limited time in our modern lives and how to index information more efficiently.

So, ultimately I think that if a 40 y.o. makes high quality training, yes, it's possible to beat a 20 y.o., but it takes a bit more effort sometimes. So probably, the Top German Memory guys, Boris, Hannes, Christian and Simon all can surely make a huge comeback next year but it may take a few extra effort at least for the Top/ 1st WMC place (for being the top winner), because there are new parameters and always newcomers/ new competitors to join every year the memory championship bandwagon. Like I said, there may be so many guys in China right now, that may train all day, all the time, for 1 year and try they to beat new records (like Shi Binbin did with 31 decks of hour-cards, a new WR). You also see all these Mongolian juniors and kids willing to break records, so the future country rankings may be totally different than what it is now.

Regards
Nodas, mental calculator from Griechenland
Current Greek National Memory Record holder for the Memorization of Pi/π
My MEMOCAMP page: https://memocamp.com/en/bestenliste/benutzer/8286-nodas
Antworten